Saturday, 14 March 2015

Marys neck and head

Back to Mary now!! Since her design showed her with a slight low cut coat on I had to cast not only the neck in silicone but also her collar bone area and shoulders in case during the animation there's a risk of her armature showing.
 I created a one part mold for her neck which I then painted two layers of silicone into. The silicone was tinted slightly to have a lilac colour to match her arms and face when finished. The armature was disassembled and her neck and chest area were padded before being placed into the mold. 

I then filled in the remaining gas with silicone to create a solid neck shape.
 Now that the neck is out of the way I begun the lengthy process of bringing her head to shape. I began by building a small block of mulliput that I sculpted around the K&S attached to the armature. This when set would allow the head to lock into place without any loose movement occurring.
 In terms of preparing for the head i laid out all of the necessary tools required for bringing her to shape. The main material I will be using to build her head is sculpy as it is light weight, easy to work with, gives a smooth finish and when baked is strong.
 First part of the job was to sculpt the basic shape of the head for the face and hair section to fit around. This part of the build was made a cm smaller in diameter so that Mary once finished didn't resemble a bobble head toy found in your car.

I added a K&S piece to the front to create a slot that the eye section could lock into. This would mean that if the eyes get damaged during the animation then I can simply remove them for any repairs.
 For the eyes I used a white bead about 2-3cm in diameter. Now usually when making eyes this section would have two sockets to allow the eyes to rotate in. I chose to stick Marys eyes flat against it because they are so large that they had to be sanded down slightly otherwise they would've been pocking out of the side of her head.
 The fac was sculpted on top of the eyes and core once they had been baked. This process took a good 2 hours to get right. once done I then baked the face and primed it. The face was made to be removable so I added two magnets to the back of it. One behind the chin and one right at the top of the head.
 The core was baked and primed also along with the hair piece that would be slotted into the back of the head. 
This is what the hair will be attached to.
Above are all the main components for Bloody Marys head. Her face now painted, her eyes now sanded down and eye lids made from painting layers of plastic resin on the eyes.
I sculpted a pair of ears onto the core of the head as well as the back half in Mulliput so that it would blend together with the face. 

Her hair section was built up and around the crown of hr head and would provide a solid base to stick the hair to. The K&S piece sticking out is for the hat to lock into.

Marys head to be Continued.... STAY TUNED!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment